Hardware devices don’t have the capacity to communicate to the computer in the absence of the right drivers that they should be equipped with and this includes drivers for Realtek AC97 sound devices. You can use the replacement driver CD in order to install the program and if you don’t have it then the option available for you is to go to the manufacturer’s website.
How To Download And Install Realtek AC97 Audio Driver
1. Open your web browser and go to: AC97 Driver Download
2. Locate the correct AC97 driver for your computer and once you find it, just hit the button that says “Click to Download”.
3. Once you click the button it will then automatically download the install file on your PC.
4. When the install file has been downloaded completely you may then launch it.
5. There will be directions provided for you on your screen and all you need to do is follow them in order to start with the automated installation process.
6. Once the installation has been completed you may then restart your computer.
How To Update The AC97 Audio Driver
1. Click on the Start button, the Control Panel and the Device Manager.
2. Click on the icon adjacent to the text that says “Sound, video and game controllers”.
3. Once you see the “C-Media AC97 audio device” item double-click on it and the click on the Driver tab.
4. Select the option that says “Update Driver” and then click on “Search automatically for updated driver software”.
5. During this process your computer will look for available updates and once it does all you need to do is follow the on-screen instructions to start and completed the installation process.
6. Doing the steps above will update your driver and will fix problems which are encountered by your AC97 device.
7. If the computer fails to detect updates, go to the Device Manager once again and then double-click your device.
8. Go to the Driver Tab and then select “Uninstall”. During this process you only need to follow very simple instructions provided on the screen in order to uninstall the driver.
9. Once the driver has been completely uninstalled, insert the installation disc on the optical drive. This will then automatically launch the installer. If you don’t have the installation disc the only option that you actually have is to download the latest version of the software from the official download website of Realtek.